1. Add vinegar, rum, habanero peppers, onion, scallions, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, and molasses to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth paste is formed.
2. Place chicken in a large freezer bag, or in a large roasting pan. Pour lime juice over the chicken, coating well. Add the jerk paste to the chicken and coat well. Seal the bag or cover pan with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove chicken from the marinade bag or pan for cooking. Put the remaining marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside to use as a basting sauce for the chicken.
4. Preheat grill to medium high. Sprinkle chicken halves with salt and pepper. Place chicken halves, skin side down on the grill. Cover and cook for approximately one hour, keeping the internal grill temperature between 350°F and 400°F. Turn chickens occasionally and baste with marinade, until the chicken halves are cooked through. The chicken is done when the juices run clear when a knife tip is inserted into both the chicken breast and thigh.
5. Transfer chicken to platter and tent loosely with foil to keep warm and let stand 15 minutes. Cut chicken into pieces and serve.
Habanero chili peppers are very hot and can cause extreme pain if they come in contact with your eyes. We strongly recommend wearing protective gloves while handling the chilies and the jerk paste.
Recipe courtesy of Celebrity Chef and Author G. Garvin