I absolutely love the Spring & Summer months. This is the time of year that I get to pull out my cute dresses and get creative with my natural hair. For me, the winter months call for protective and very low maintenance styles due to what the harsh weather conditions do to my hair, but Spring and Summer calls for “Free To Be Me” hair. You see, my hair is super thick and has always been that way since I can remember and with my textured hair it is imperative that I keep it moisturized. So are you ready to be Fabulous?
Last year I was invited by Family Dollar to be one of their VIP Bloggers/Vloggers for their Fabulous event that took place in Atlanta and imagine how surprised I was when I learned that I could get my favorite brands at my local Family Dollar. I rushed to the store to grab a few goodies that I would use to keep my hair looking Fabulous and moisturized all summer long without having to add multiple products. I usually try to use as few items as possible, and to my surprise the two products I use give my hair the look and feel that hair craves. Which products you ask?
PANTENE IS THE WINNER!! Wowsers! I picked up both the Pantene Truly Natural Hair Defining Curls Styling Custard (feels amazing) and the Shine Serum with Argan Oil. OMG! Talk about natural hair heaven! The mixture of both is not only smooth but gives me an amazing shine and feels great on my hair.
Guess what else they only cost $5 Bucks each! That’s right you heard correctly.
As those that follow me on social media know, I am always on the go: traveling, attending events, working out and doing yoga which means that I need quick and easy styles that are versatile and easy-to-do. In fact, the kids and I just returned from hitting 3 States in 4 Days, so my hair definitely needed a good cleaning. I shampoo with the Pantene Truly Natural Hair Clarifying Shampoo, which you can also pick up at your local Family Dollar, but since I already had a bottle that cut my cost down. You can always purchase a bottle $5.
Today I will show you how I achieve a 2-N-1 style that works for cocktail hour, date night or yoga practice. So let’s get started!
1. Part your hair into two sections: a front & back section. Start with the front section and pin your hair back with Goody Scrunchie and bobby pins.
2. Pump 3-4 pumps of the Pantene Shine Serum with Argan Oil and work it into the front section of your hair. (You will repeat this step with the back section later)
3. Part your hair as if you are going to do a cornrow, but instead you are going to do a flat twist. Take a quarter size amount of the Pantene Truly Natural Defining Curls Styling Custard and add it to the individual twist. (You will repeat this step for each twist). When you flat twist, start with a small section of hair and slowly pull hair into the twist in order to create a more defined twist. I then add a small white rod to give my hair an extra curl (you can skip this if you like). Repeat until the entire front is complete.
4. Take the back section and divide that section into two so that you have a top (Bottom) and a section below the top. This will provide more definition and fullness in the back.
5. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the back section of your hair and allow your hair to set over night.
TAKE DOWN PROCESS & STYLE ONE – CURLY FRO
1. If you used the white rods you can take them out and then start with the back section of your hair first.
2. Start at the very bottom section and begin untwisting your hair at the ends. This process is slower because you do not want to disrupt your hair where it natural wants to separate. This will give you a curly look without the frizz.
3. Repeat step 2 until both rows are undone in the back and then work on the front section.
4. Take a pick and fluff out your hair for a super cute curly fro and BOOM, you’re ready!
5. Now Strike A Fabulous Pose!
STYLE TWO – MESSY PUFF BUN
1. Repeat Steps 1-3 from Curly Afro Style
2. Pick your hair a little or a lot. It’s totally up to you! Now that you have a curly fro all you need to do is take a little serum and add it to the crown of your hair.
3. Brush your hair up into a ponytail and use a hair band or stretched knee-high, like I did, to pull your hair up. I use a knee high because it doesn’t tear your hair and it helps prevent too much tension and tightness. Now just pull your hair in to a messy puff bun. Tie the knee high and tuck in your bun using the Goody Bobby Pins.
4. Pick out with a hair pick and leave it untamed and messy and you are done.
Totally Easy Right? What are your favorite Fabulous Family Dollar Natural Hair Items?